You're welcome to join our group whatever sort of walker you are. You will find us friendly and accommodating and we hope that you'll enjoy walking with us and joining in our various social activities.
If you are not a member of the Ramblers Association you are welcome to accompany us for up to three walks before deciding whether to join the group. Take a look at the walks programme and please ring the leader to say you would like to come along.
Please note the following:
- We meet up at Brooms Road car park in Dumfries, near the entrance from Brooms Road. Please meet promptly to arrange car sharing, we share petrol costs between the occupants of each car.
- Sometimes a walk leader has to cancel or change a walk due to bad weather or other circumstances - so if you plan to make your own way to the starting point you should let the leader know beforehand.
- Make sure you're wearing the right footwear - proper walking boots are recommended. Don't forget waterproofs, a warm layer, and something to eat and drink. You may also want to bring a torch and small first aid kit.
- For safety reasons walk leaders have the right to exclude anyone who they consider insufficiently fit or equipped for their walk - if you're in doubt about a walk's suitability for your fitness level or what to bring with you then feel free to contact us.
- Children under 18 years old are welcome on walks, but they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Unfortunately, dogs aren't allowed on walks, unless they're Registered Assistance dogs.
We look forward to seeing you!
We have our own grading system for our walks:
C: Leisurely - suitable for people with some country walking experience. Can involve stiles or stepping-stones but will generally follow paths and tracks.
C+: A little harder than a C, still leisurely but longer.
B: Moderate - possibly some sustained climbs and steeper gradients and rough open hillsides.
B+: Still moderate but will be harder and longer than a B walk.
A: Strenuous - requires an above average fitness level. Likely to involve open hillside, steep ascents or descents of greater distances. Can involve easy scrambling.
Most of our walks will have been checked in advance by the walk leader except Adventure Walks which may be in areas unfamiliar to the leader. Full equipment should be carried on these including a torch.